Giethoorn is the most beautiful and fairytale village in Netherlands. In this Dutch village, people can only sail, walk or cycle around to transport from one part of village to other.
It is located in the north eastern part of Netherlands and is around 85 mins of drive from Amsterdam. Nicknamed as “town of no roads” puts Giethoorn in top 10 attractions of Netherlands. Giethoorn has many nicknames such as – Giethorn, Venice of Netherlands, Dutch Venice
How to explore this Dutch Village?
From the bus stop, you need to walk around 10 mins to reach the main village area. From the starting point itself, rented boats companies can be seen, it will take atleast upto 2 hrs for a complete round of village. Cafe, bakery and clothing shops are on the one side, canal on the other and in the center is the walking and cycling area. No vehicles are allowed inside the village .
One can also explore the entire village on foot like we did. We had one of the best time of our vacation at Giethoorn. Exploring entire village on foot, crossing small wooden bridges and clicking pictures of thatched roof dutch houses were some of the key moments of our trip.
History of the Giethoorn village
The village contains hand dug canals and all small Islands are connected by around 176 bridges. In fact some of the houses or we say farmhouses are built from 18th and 19th century. A walking or cycling path called Binnenpad runs right through this area.
Things to do
- Rent a private boat and enjoy personal sailing experience
- Visit Giethoorn museum
- Enjoy the guided boat ride
- Explore village on foot, and do not forget to click some of the fairytale pictures of this village
- Have waffles, ice creams or coffee, sandwiches, pizza from the shops run by locals
- Interact with locals and learn more about their lifestyle
- Sit quietly near the canal(you will find many siting benches or you can sit on the grass), relax and adore the beauty of this Dutch village .
Don’t listen to what they, go and see it**